Sarajevo’s old bazaar and the historical and cultural center of the city. The word “baš” which is “baş” in Turkish literally means “head”,and “çarşı” in Turkish means “bazaar” or “market”. meaning the full name of the district translates to ‘to the main bazaar’ in Turkish.
Čaršija is usually characterized by specific architectural qualities that make it recognizable in the whole complex of the city and with its specific features reflects the identity or spirit of the city.
Until the 19th century, the area of Sarajevo did not expand. With the Austro-Hungarian occupation of 1878, foreign architects wanted to turn Sarajevo into a modern European city. They were helped by a large fire that destroyed the old town except for the part that is still there today. This is how today’s well-known border between Baščaršija and Ferhadija Street is created.
“There are a thousand and eighty shops in the stockhouse that are a model of beauty. The stockhouse itself is very attractive and built according to plan.”